Subway restaurants market themselves as a healthy, nutritious alternative to traditional fast food. With freshly prepared sandwiches and salads customizable to your preferences, Subway seems like an appealing option for grabbing a quick meal. But is Subway a healthy place to eat a sandwich?
When determining how healthy Subway meals are, there are a few key factors to consider:
What Are The Ingredients And Nutrition Of Subway Sandwich?
Subway offers nutritious ingredients like lean meats, whole grain breads, and an array of fresh vegetables and toppings to build your perfect sandwich. In general, their basic ingredients are healthy:
- Lean meats like turkey, ham, and roasted chicken breast.
- Whole wheat or multigrain bread provides fibre.
- Abundance of veggies like lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and cucumbers.
- Low-fat cheese options available.
Subway provides complete nutrition information for all menu items on Subwaycoupon.org, so you can view calories, sodium, fat, carbs and more. This transparency allows customers to make informed choices.
Overall, the ingredients and nutritional content at Subway are healthier than traditional burgers and fried fast food joints. You have many options to customize for a nutritious meal.
What Is The Portion Control Of Subway Sandwich?
Eating reasonable portion sizes is key for any healthy meal. Subway’s footlong and 6-inch subs allow customers to control portions based on their needs.
A footlong sub ranges from about 600-1000 calories, while a 6-inch sub is around 300-500 calories on average. This gives good flexibility whether you need a light meal or a heartier sandwich.
Plus, if you’re looking to save on your Subway order, don’t forget to check for Subway hours for Christmas for an extra discount which can help you enjoy these delectable subs at a more wallet-friendly price.”
Compare that to mega-sized burgers and fries at certain fast food chains packing 1500+ calories – Subway’s reasonable portions promote healthier eating habits.
What Are Healthy Customization Options Of Subway Sandwich?
The great thing about Subway meals is you decide exactly what goes into your sandwich or salad. You have complete control to maximize nutrition. Some healthy customization tips:
- Opt for whole wheat or multigrain bread over white.
- Load up on veggies – they are unlimited and free!
- Choose lean protein options like chicken breast, turkey, ham or roast beef.
- Limit high-fat additions like bacon, avocado, cheese and creamy sauces.
- Ask for light mayo or mustard/oil & vinegar to minimize calories.
- Turn any sub into a chopped salad for a lighter meal.
Subway’s customization allows you to make healthy choices suited to your diet and preferences.
Healthier Menu Choices
While Subway’s ingredients are generally healthy, some menu options are smarter choices than others if you are trying to eat a nutritious meal:
- Veggie Delite – Only 280 calories for a footlong loaded with vegetables.
- Turkey Breast – A lean protein source with 410 calories in a footlong.
- Rotisserie Chicken – Roasted chicken has less saturated fat than deli meats.
- Veggie Patty – A plant-based, low-calorie protein option.
- Salads – Build a salad with lots of veggies and light dressing.
- 6-inch subs – Perfectly portioned at around 300 calories.
Focus on the many better-for-you options over heavy sandwiches like the Meatball Marinara at 760 calories for a footlong.
Healthier Side Options
Skip the oily chips and opt for nutritious side items like:
- Apple slices – A sweet treat with fibre.
- Yogurt – Add some calcium and protein.
- Baked chips or popcorn – Lighter than fried chips.
- Fruit cup – Vitamin-packed and refreshing.
- Salad – Double your vegetable intake.
Subway’s apple slices are one of the healthiest kid’s meal sides available at any chain.
Areas For Improvement
While Subway offers healthier fare compared to typical fast food, some areas could be improved to make it even more nutritious:
- Offer more whole-food vegetarian proteins like beans or tofu.
- Reduce sodium content in some items.
- Limit sugary dressings and sauces.
- Expand whole grain and gluten-free bread options.
- Eliminate artificial ingredients, colours and preservatives.
Subway has made great progress in providing healthier options in the fast-food space. But there is always room for improvement to optimize nutrition.
Is It Healthier To Get A 6-Inch Or Footlong Sub At Subway?
In general, choosing a 6-inch sub is the healthier option at Subway. A footlong sub can pack up to 1000 calories, while a 6-inch usually ranges from 300-500 calories. Get a footlong only if you need the larger portion.
What Are The Healthiest Bread Options At Subway?
The healthiest Subway bread choices are 9-grain Wheat, Honey Oat, and 9-grain Multiseed. They offer more fibre, vitamins, and minerals than Italian or Monterey Cheddar. Avoid flatbreads which are higher in calories.
Is Getting A Chopped Salad Better For You Than A Sandwich At Subway?
Chopped salads are generally healthier than subs at Subway. You get more veggies which are low-calorie and full of nutrients. Avoid heavy additions like cheese, creamy dressings, and crispy toppings when customizing your salad.
Overall, Subway is one of the healthier places to eat a fast and convenient sandwich compared to the greasy burgers and fried foods you’ll find at most similar chains. With the ability to customize your sandwich or salad, reasonable portion sizes, and transparency with nutrition information, it’s easy to make nutritious choices to suit your diet. Just opt for lean meats, load up on veggies, and limit heavy sauces and extras. While not perfect, Subway serves as a better alternative for an on-the-go meal.